RESCHEDULED – GUESTLING PARISH COUNCIL MEETING MONDAY 18th DEC 2017 , GUESTLING BRADSHAW SCHOOL, 7PM
** THREE OAKS HALL HIRE – Jane Morris Tel : 01424 753396**
**GUESTLING HALL HIRE – Colin Jury Tel : 01424 812584**
The parish of Guestling and Three oaks lies about 4 miles north-east of Hastings on and around the A259.
Guestling is derived from the Anglo Saxon Gestling (Gesta’s family). Gestlinges is one of the three villages mentioned in the Domesday book as being part of the rape of Gestlinges, also including Luet( Modern Pett ) and Ramslie( a large manor including Fairlight ). The Main Court for the Western towns in the Cinque Ports was held at Guestling.
Three Oaks has its own village hall and Guestling village hall is beside the junction with the A259 and Church Lane which leads to Church of St. Laurence
Hand made bricks are made in Fourteen Acre Lane, Three Oaks. The Guestling bricks are in great demand for restoring Churches and other old buildings. Customers have included Camber Castle, Hampton Court and Buckingham Palace.
One of England’s great scholars at the time of Shakespeare birth, was Gregory Martin. He was born in Maxfield, an old timbered house in Three Oaks. He became the tutor in the house of the Duke of Norfolk, and spent the last years of his life at Rheims. Here he translated the Latin Bible into English. He died in 1582 and is buried in Rheims.
The parish is crossed by a network of public footpaths and bridleways, providing great walking and panoramic views of the Sussex countryside.